If you are checking out this recipe, you get to share our little secret... the Ball® FreshTECH Automatic Jam & Jelly Maker can do more than just jam and jelly! We now have these delicious "Secret Sauce" recipes using the Jam Maker, and they were just waiting to be discovered by you. Enjoy this one today!
- ADD half of the tomato puree evenly in the bottom of the Pot fitted with the Stirrer.
- PRESS jam button - the cook time will automatically default to 21 minutes. Press (+) button until 25 minutes is reached. Press Enter When appliance beeps, add remaining tomato puree, 1 cup at a time. Add lemon juice, oregano, pepper, salt and garlic powder. Place glass lid onto the pot.
- THE APPLIANCE will continue to automatically stir your ingredients while it cooks. Stay within earshot of the Jam & Jelly Maker, the appliance will beep again at the end of the process signaling cooking is complete. Press cancel, unplug the appliance, and immediately remove Glass Lid.
- REMOVE Stirrer using a pot holder.
- COOL to room temperature, about 30 minutes. LADLE sauce into jars. Push down lids. Label. FREEZE sauce for up to 1 year.
- ENJOY using 1 of the 3 ways listed below:
Once your sauce has cooked for the appropriate amount of time, ladle the hot spread into pre-warmed jars. There are 3 different processes depending on how you intend to use the spread:
1. Enjoy Now:
LADLE hot sauce into hot jars. Cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Place lids and bands on jars and label.
REFRIGERATE sauce for up to three weeks or serve immediately.
2. Freeze It:
LADLE sauce into hot jars leaving ½” headspace. Cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Place lids and bands on jars and label.
FREEZE sauce for up to 1 year.
3. Preserve for Now or Later:
PREPARE YOUR GEAR
(while sauce is being made in your Automatic Jam & Jelly Maker)
FILL canner or stockpot half full with water. Place lid on canner. Heat to a simmer. Keep canning rack to the side until ready to use.
WASH jars, lids and bands in hot, soapy water. Rinse well.
FILL YOUR JARS
LADLE hot sauce into hot jars, one at a time, leaving 1/4 inch headspace and removing all air bubbles. Wipe any sauce from the rim of the jar. Center lid on jar. Twist on the band until fingertip tight.
PLACE filled jar in the canning rack inside the canner, ensuring jar is covered by 1-2 inches of water.
REPEAT steps 1 and 2 for remaining jars.
PLACE lid on canner. Bring water to gentle, steady boil.
PROCESS jars in boiling water for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude*. Turn off heat, remove lid and let jars stand for 5 minutes.
REMOVE jars from water and cool. Check lids for seal after 12 to 24 hours.
CHECK THE SEAL
PRESS on center of cooled lid. If jar is sealed, the lid will not flex up or down. If it is not sealed, refrigerate immediately or re-process.
STORE sealed jars in pantry for up to 18 months. Jars may be stored without bands, or you may clean the underside of bands to ensure no moisture is trapped during storage.
Headspace is the space between the food and the top of the jar. Each jar needs space between the sauce and the jar rim to allow for expansion during the canning process.
After removing jars from the water, do not re-tighten or over tighten bands that may have come loose during canning, this can interfere with the sealing process.
*Increase processing time: 5 minutes for 1,001 to 3,000 ft; 10 minutes for 3,001 to 6,000 ft; 15 minutes for 6,001 to 8,000 ft; 20 minutes for 8,001 to 10,000 ft.